The Everyday Struggle That Is.....Life

Sunday, October 14, 2018

One of my favourite, most relatable meme's of all time has to be this one:

For as long as I can remember I have always had a never-ending to-do list, there is always a store return to be done or clothes to be washed or dinner to be made or a friend's birthday to attend or that gym class you told yourself you would go to.


I enjoy all of those things, that's what takes up my spare time, but lately it is just exhausting keeping up with it all. Sometimes I find myself thinking, something has got to give...but what?! In reality I don't feel like anything will give, in actual fact I think my time will be even more thinly spread when my husband and I think about the future and houses and kids and careers and making ours goals and dreams possible.

But how can you aspire to achieve bigger goals when most of the time it feels like you're just about keeping on top of the day-to-day things? How can you even think about pushing yourself further when you're just about staying afloat at the moment?

I vividly remember my weekday evenings when I used to live in London. After finishing work I would get home and constantly be in a mad dash making my dinner and lunch for the next day and packing my gym kit and putting a load of washing on, making sure all my jobs got done, and my flatmate would be sat on the sofa feet up with a cup of tea watching TV and relaxing and I used to think, why do I always have so much to do, why can't I just unwind.

I found myself going to sleep really wound up and at the time I just thought it was normal.

Recently I have had a realisation. You can keep doing 'stuff' and finding 'stuff' to do until the cows come home, but there will still be more to be done tomorrow and it's not going anywhere. It is endless.


So guess what, you are allowed to leave that washing in the basket for one more day, or not wash your hair on your proper 'hair-wash' day for once, or not iron all of your clothes...you don't have to be 'PERFECT'.

And that's my whole problem. I always strive for perfection in every aspect of life and frankly it's exhausting, de-motivating and possibly actually counter-productive. I am learning to ease up on myself, let my mind and body rest more and let myself find comfort in NOT being perfect. 

The house doesn't need to be spotlessly clean every single day of the week. I don't have to take lunch from home every single day of the week. I don't have to keep in regular touch with everybody in my phonebook.



I think it is super important to step back and assess where you are. Remove anyone / anything that isn't adding value to your life. There simply isn't enough time for it. 

Life is non-stop but you have to find yourself within it all. You have to make time for yourself, and practise the 'self-love' and 'self-care' that we are seeing all over our socials lately. I haven't quite mastered it yet but I am definitely making a conscious effort to work towards this and I feel so much happier for making the change. 

Hope you enjoyed this read.

Be sure to check out my Instagram @thestylecount for lots of outfits and more x



You Might Also Like

0 comments