Indian Wedding Lookbook

Saturday, August 26, 2017


Hey all,

Hope you are well.

A few months ago, as we entered the months of May and June, my weekends gradually began getting more and more booked up as 'wedding season' began. In the Asian community (and I'm guessing most other communities!), summer is the most popular time for weddings so it can often mean consecutive weekends filled with attending these fabulous events! I think I had 3 in a row this year if I remember correctly....crazy!

I decided to share some of my outfits from these weddings, as its another part of my wardrobe and another type of shopping and styling that I enjoy.

Asian weddings are usually more than one day long, with lots of events often in the build-up to the big main day. So that can only mean one thing...LOTS of outfits and LOTS of dressing up!

The outfits below are ones that I have worn to wedding receptions (the 'party') after the religious ceremony. The attire for the receptions tend to be slightly more adventurous, with brighter colours and heavier embroidery for example.

I would love to know what you think of this post and the content, and if you would like to see more on the same lines so please do let me know! x

OUTFIT 1: LENGHA

A lengha is usually a fitted top (blouse) with a long, floor-length skirt and is a very popular choice for many Asian occasions. 

I love wearing a lengha as it is really easy to wear, it's very comfortable and fuss-free compared to a sari in my opinion.

This outfit was originally bought as a skirt, chunni/dupatta and a sleeveless, gold, mirror-effect blouse. I have worn this combination altogether before to a friend's wedding last year. 

However, to refresh the outfit and make it look a bit different this year, I decided to get a new blouse made with the skirt. The new blouse with the block colour and long sleeves gives the outfit a whole new look, for a fraction of the price of buying a brand-new outfit!

As the green blouse is quite plain, I decided to wear it with a statement necklace from POONAM KHAIRA JEWELLERY which was the perfect pairing. I didn't want to go overboard with accessories as the skirt is already a statement in itself.




OUTFIT 2: ANARKALI

An anarkali outfit is made up of a long frock-style dress often paired with skinny fitting trousers. The dresses are normally quite light and airy, to make them more flowy when worn.

The one I am wearing is much heavier than your typical anarkali outfit, with full on embroidery all over the dress. The trousers pick up the pink on the dress too.

I love this piece as it is very party-appropriate for weddings, birthdays etc without being too done up. It's ideal to wear when you want to dress up but have running around to do, or you don't plan on leaving the dancefloor! 



OUTFIT 3: LENGHA SARI

A combination of the traditional lengha and sari! Again, this is SUPER comfortable and secure to wear. As mentioned above, I don't find saris too easy to wear, I always feel as though they are about to unravel on me whilst I'm wearing it.

A lengha sari gives the illusion of a sari with the security and comfort of a lengha. You put on the blouse and skirt, and then the 'pallu' (like a shawl) is attached to the skirt and wraps around you. SO easy!

The colours of this outfit, such as the gold blouse and the cerise pink border, really make it pop which is why it is one of my favourites!





OUTFIT 4: LENGHA (again!)

I have included a quick picture below of me in another lengha just as an FYI. I don't have any other pictures of me on my own in this outfit so I'll use this as a chance to introduce you to Mr. StyleCount standing next to me at my best friend's wedding this summer!

Again a floral lengha, but slightly different in that there is gold 3D embroidery work on this skirt which breaks up the pattern, as does the border at the bottom.

This outfit originally came with a 3/4 sleeve blue blouse, but by the time I came to wear it, the colour had unfortunately faded a little in the sunlight.

I had to get a new blouse made and I decided to pick up the colour of the border instead, to contrast the skirt which I thought worked pretty well. 

Again, I didn't go too heavy with accessories, and chose to just wear a pair of earrings (coincidentally, they are the ones that match the necklace from outfit 1!)


So that's it! I really hope you enjoyed this post, and as I mentioned, please let me know what you think! x

PS I haven't obviously included links to items worn as it would be pretty difficult (outfits are generally not mass produced so it would be difficult to get hold of the exact same thing) but if you would like any info on where I bought any of these outfits from, feel free to message me and I will try to give as much info as possible! Usually you can find similar if you shop around :) 

You Might Also Like

0 comments